Our sweetie pies

Our sweetie pies

Monday, February 21, 2011

we just found out...

I am starting this blog to document our new journey of having a type a diabetic 3 year old daughter. I never dreamed this was possible and am still in shock. I replay the doctor visit over and over in mind. The moment when the doctor went from her usual greeting, to noticing the sugar level in my daughter's urine, to the phone call the doctor disappeared to make, to the doctor telling me I needed to rush my daughter to the hospital now or they would arrange an ambulance for us. I had only brought my daughter in for a check up, thinking that she had some sort of a bladder infection. My mom later said that the thought had occurred to her that maybe diabetes was a possibility. But I wasn't versed in these symptoms. I had never studied what diabetes was or is. I didn't know that when someone goes to the bathroom excessively it could mean something is wrong with your kidneys. I thought I was being a diligant mom. I never thought that a good check up could turn into a fatal disease if we hadn't brought her in.

so this is where our journey has begun. Our three year old has a twin brother, and everyone has asked if he might have it too. But he is a fraternal twin, so his odds are just as good as anyone else in the family.

stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. sorry, I type type a diabetes. I, of course meant, type 1 diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh I read this and think about what happened the day we took our daughter in for what we thought was a food allergy....rushed into ICU and hospitalized for 5 days. We were so angry and sad we felt like our daughter had just lost her
    "normal" life. Still heartbreaking when ever that moment goes though my mind. Be strong and be happy to know you caught it before something worse happened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Serena! My 3 year old daughter was just diagnosed on Sept 22! I would like to ask you a few questions if possible! My email is jb_princess_87@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete