Our sweetie pies

Our sweetie pies

Saturday, July 16, 2011

vacation Bible school

we have been busy this summer. no vacations, but lots of kids home and needing attention. we have a high school graduate now that is going on 35. she has taken to giving me lots of parenting advice and practicing lots of eye rolling.

I decided to sign her up for vacation bible school at our church this year. the woman coordinating it asked if she felt led to be a helper. I thought, "she is helping regardless" she needs a reason to get out of bed before noon and put some of her new found wisdom into practice.

All of my kids were able to participate this year provided that I was also a helper. I was signed up to help with the fourth/fifth graders and my teenager was signed up to help with the first graders. Then my little ones were placed in a preschool class and the baby was permanently affixed to my waist.

This was my first adventure with having our diabetic sweetie in someone else's care for 3 hours every morning. I was nearby so I was able to leave as much as necessary and check her with her meter. Her teachers weren't comfortable checking her themselves so I just popped in at different times to monitor her progress and climbs up or down depending on the day.

The first day, my husband had given her her insulin with breakfast before I took her and it seemed to be a bit much as she ran low (her blood sugar levels) all morning. I had to keep reappearing with cereal and granola bars throughout the morning.

The next morning she didn't want to eat before we left so I didn't give her insulin but then as we drove to church, she wanted to eat cereal. so by the time I checked her in with her teachers, she was over 400. so then I had to keep showing up and giving her insulin to bring her down, and take her to the bathroom and find water cups for the desperately thirsty child in the nursery! (drama queen at times) (runs in the family)

by twelve everyday, she was worn out and ready for lunch and a rest. One day, she actually took a three hour nap, which is highly unusual for her. (she gave up naps almost a year ago)

everyone had a lot of fun though, even the teenager. we all learned some great songs. the kids got to dance on stage as the curriculum was a rock star theme. they made some great crafts and the little ones had a lot of fun being "big" kids.

my niece attended with us also, filling my car with 6 children! she memorized the scripture verse john 3:16. I asked if she knew that on the bottom of every In & Out cup is printed the verse reference john 3:16. she did not know that. so on Friday, for our last day of vacation bible school, I treated us all to In & out so that she could see the printed reference herself.

tonight we saw the movie Soul Surfer. a great movie if you have not seen it. Bethany Hamilton is a great example of putting God's word to practice even in tough situations. After a week of being reminded that God created us uniquely and for a specific purpose, it was great to see an example of a real life Christian trusting God.

Unfortunately we live in a world where some people just don't view every child as a gift from God, whether they be the only child or the fifth child or a son or daughter, or a nephew or niece or even a neighbor or friend, or someone that has special needs or even loses an arm.

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights." James 1:17.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Bethany Hamilton quotes this scripture verse in the movie a few times.

Next time you see someone not valuing a child, remember this and pray for them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you all were able to enjoy VBS! But I have to tell you I am so relieved to know that my 19 y.o. isn't the only teen girl who has suddenly decided she can parent better than I can...and can roll her eyes with the best of them!
    Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete